This paper investigates the responsiveness of a random sample of Australian business web sites to simple customer enquiries. The results indicate that a substantial proportion of firms (32%) still have technical problems communicating through their web sites, with either no facility, or a facility that does not work. Of those with working customer contact facilities on their web site, just over half (58%) responded to a query made through their web site. The remaining 42% did not respond at all. These statistics suggest that the use of web sites for communication with customers and potential customers is not as sophisticated as might be hoped. Instead, it would appear that many Australian firms still do not take the web seriously as a source of contacts, do not include the monitoring of their web contact facilities as a standard customer relationship management (CRM) process nor do they understand the potential dissatisfaction felt by customers who utilised a contact facility and are ignored.