In this article, we describe our experiences with modifying and applying AnswerFinder, a generic question answering system that was originally designed to perform textbased question answering in English only, to multi-lingual question answering. In particular, we participated in the Dutch-English task. To enable handling of Dutch questions, we added a machine translation phase, where we used Systran to provide the Dutch to English translations. The translated questions were passed verbatim to AnswerFinder. Additionally, a simple form of anaphora resolution was implemented and since AnswerFinder did not have a document retrieval phase, this was added as well. The document retrieval system used is based on Xapian and simply searches for relevant documents based on the words in the question. Due to the nature and quality of the translated questions and the lack of tuning, we expected (and received) low quality results. The main purpose of our participation was to investigate the flexibility, portability, and scalability of the generic question answering system.